Friday, November 13, 2015


Notes from the Field: Student Rachel Edwards Reflects on her Time Aboard R/V Falcor

The "green flash" happened at least twice during the cruise.
Unfortunately I didn't see it or many sunsets in general
because my watch covered 3-6 am and pm.

    By Rachel Edwards      


Since I have now returned home from the five-week research cruise to explore Tamu Massif,


Jinchang Zhang “Dr. Sam”, who are the leading expert geophysicists on Tamu Massif.  Just to be able to talk with these renowned scientists about their research and ask them questions about Shatsky Rise or other diverse subjects such as the creation of our planet or whether or not plate tectonics may exist on Mars has been extraordinary.  Conversely, the student scientists on the team will no doubt be the successors, movers, and shakers in oceanography and other similar fields.  It will come as no surprise if several team members are leading similar history making expeditions in the future.

Leighton, the head MT, taught me about what causes bad data
 pings in the multibeam sonar- in this case, the biggest issue 
was bubbles from rough weather turbulence- and how to 
remove them. The depths we encountered at Tamu Massif  
ranged from 1500m over top of seamounts to 7000m at the 
deepest parts.  We crossed the Mariana Trench 
to get to Guam, and it was very interesting to look at how
 quickly the water depths changed moving away from the 
subduction zone. 
I have gained more knowledge and sea experience than I can put into words.  There is no book that can teach what I have learned from being out here on the R/V Falkor, and I would not have done any of this without the Schmidt Ocean Institute Student Opportunity Program.  The program offers to anyone who is interested and willing to push themselves beyond their comfort level a once in a lifetime experience to participate in cutting edge research, gain some time on the seas, and meet individuals from all over the world.

This is the multibeam sonar screen which I and the other 
student scientists had to monitor around the clock for the entire cruise, 
minus a two day break  when we passed by a small island owned by Japan. 
We weren’t able to collect data there due to EEZ regulations.
Paul, the Chief Officer on Falkor, was one of the guy who
deployed Maggied the Magnetometer. Maggie was out the
time except for when we had to pull her in due to bad weather
from Typhoon Champi and a massive low pressure system up
in the Arctic and also when passing Japan's EEZ at the end of
the cruise. Two separate magetometers were used, and both of
them were attacked by sharks. Nobody saw the sharks, however,
because Maggie had to be towed 300m behind Falkor to avoid
interference from all the metal on the ship.
One of the best parts of this expedition has been getting to know the Falkor’s crew. They are highly trained individuals, and it has been a pleasure to observe and shadow them in their daily running of the ship.  I am so grateful they have been willing to teach me new skills, as well as help me volunteer my time in the different departments aboard Falkor. They have let me look over their shoulders as I ask many, many questions.  Their patience has been much appreciated and has allowed me to gain an understanding of how the bridge manages the other departments and makes decisions, how the engineers maintain Falkor’s engines and generators, how the purser manages the administrative paperwork including international legalities, and how the deckhands and stewardesses maintain Falkor’s interior and exterior to ensure safety. I have worked the closest with the marine technicians who oversee and run the scientific data systems on board. Leighton Rolley, Lead Marine Technician, has taught me how to plan multi-beam sonar surveys and how to process the raw data collected from Tamu Massif.  These valuable science skills are best taught via a hands-on experience, and I was able to learn right alongside other student scientists.
We were lucky we didn't lose the second magenetometer. The
shark almost bit through the cable that was used to tow it!
The MTs pulled out many tooth fragments from the hard
plastic and rubber on Maggie; there's no doubt that, had she
been animate, Maggie would have been a goner.

This is a shot of students interacting virtually with Dr. Seger
aboard Falkor. We connected with over 4,000 individuals from
three countries. I was taught and then allowed to give several
tours and Q&A sessions with students from Texas and
California which taught me skills that will be useful in
presenting my research to the public.
I also participated in the outreach of the expedition with Suraida Nanez-James, our multimedia journalist aboard the Falkor.  She allowed me to assist in live connections with students and teachers from around the world. I was able to share what I did throughout my shifts as a watchstander and give the students and teachers from Texas and California a virtual tour of Falkor, as well as explain the science that we were conducting.  It was wonderful answering the student’s questions and interacting with them from the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  I hope that I inspired some of them to consider a career in marine science or oceanography. For me, this was a great introduction into science communication and community engagement, something I had not considered to be such an essential part of conducting research.  These outreach events will be instrumental throughout my career training as I engage and communicate my own research to the public.


Suraida and me caught in action giving a virtual tour.
This expedition is something that I will never forget.  I return home with a new found appreciation of science and life at sea.  Everything I have gained will be instrumental in both my personal and my professional life, and I have a rekindled inspiration to continue exploring and researching our marine environment. Thank you to the Schmidt Ocean Institute, the Falkor’s crew, and Science Team Sager for being part of one of the best times of my life as well as Harte Research Institute and Dr. Gibeaut for allowing me to go! 

I got to see plenty of sunrises in the hour between the end of my watch and breakfast.
This is a shot of my favorite one. The sky looked like it was covered in cotton candy.
Another highlight which I have no pictures of was the night Dr. Seger, who is also an astronomer,
 gave a star tour. It was a perfectly clear, calm night and the bridge shut off the deck lights.
I cannot describe how many starts we were able to see. The Milky Way even reflected off of the water;
it was a sight I will never forget and may never see again since it is nearly
impossible to find zero light pollution on land.



No comments:

Post a Comment